September 6, 2011

Sleepless Nights

One of my biggest irritations in life is not getting enough good, quality sleep. At 27, I feel a bit like an old lady as I rarely stay awake past 11 PM, even on the weekends! I usually go upstairs around 10-10:15 and read for a few minutes and then pass out. I get up between 6:20-6:40 AM on work days(depends how many times I hit snooze...) and around 8 AM on weekends. I usually have no issues falling asleep.

TWICE this weekend, however, I could not fall into a deep sleep. The first was Sunday night, which I attribute to the 1.5 hour nap I took that afternoon. It was rainy, cool and I was tired and had Friday Night Lights, season 1 on. I assumed I would have no issues last night since I was pretty tired from Sunday.

I went to bed around 10:30 with a little bit of a headache and slept until 2:15. Then I was up for an hour! I could not fall asleep, my head was hurting, I was hot and the fan was making weird noises. J couldn't sleep either. After an hour of tossing and turning, I finally found some earplugs, took a BC Powder(which I normally HATE, but wanted something quick), and kicked-off the comforter, finally falling asleep a little after 3 AM.

I HATE that feeling of not falling asleep. I try everything, counting backwards, slow breathing...When I am away from home, I will take a OTC sleep aid(usually only 1/2 the suggested dosage), but try not to use it very much. I supposed I should have taken Tylenol PM when I first went to bed; there's no way I would have made it to work on time had I taken it at 2:30 AM!

So tell me, readers, what are your tricks for getting a good night's sleep?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I rarely have trouble sleeping either, thank goodness. Jeff says a freight train could rumble through our house and I'd be none the wiser.

Have you tried warm milk? My Nana used to do that and it worked for her. Also, have you thought about going for a night run after supper or a warm bath? Both night runs & a bath make me zonk out in no time.

Hope you get some good rest tonight doll!

Mer said...

Exercising regularly, for sure. It's difficult for me to sleep after practice (I don't get out until 10 pm), but can sleep like a baby the next day.

Also, limiting carbs close to bedtime is something else that works for me. No sugar spikes before bed means I get sleepier quicker. :)